by Denise Dyer
You can make it perfect every time!
- 7 slices of bacon/pancetta rough chopped into ½” pieces½ cup
- Grated parmesan
- 3 large eggs
- One 16 oz Package of Thin spaghetti ( I like Barilla)
- 2 plump garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- ¼ cup unsalted buttersea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra Pasta Water
Optional- Fresh Chopped Parsley and Green onions for Garnishing
1. Put a large pot of 3water on to boil with 1 tsp salt.
2. Beat the 3 large eggs in a medium bowl and season with salt and pepper, set aside.
3. When Water comes to a boil drop thin spaghetti and when the water comes back to the boil, cook at a constant simmer, covered, for 10 minutes or until al dente (just cooked).
4. While the spaghetti is cooking, Drop 1/4cup unsalted butter into a large frying pan add bacon/ pancetta and garlic.
5. Leave to cook on a medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until the bacon/pancetta is golden and crisp. remove both gloves of garlic.
6. Keep the heat under the pancetta on low.
7. When the pasta is ready, lift it from the water with a pasta fork or tongs and put it in the frying pan with the pancetta.
And don’t throw the pasta water away yet… it’s the magic of the sauce!
The Next Steps
These are critical because you want to finish this dish last, so it stays nice a creamy. If you are preparing a salad or making garlic bread, make sure those are finished before proceeding.
1. Mix most of the parmesan cheese with the beaten eggs, keep a small handful back for sprinkling over later before serving.
2. Take the pan of spaghetti and bacon/pancetta off the heat.
3. Quickly pour in the eggs and cheese.
4. Using the tongs or a long fork, lift up the spaghetti so it mixes easily with the egg mixture, which thickens but doesn’t scramble, and everything is coated.
5. Add extra pasta cooking water to keep it saucy (1/4cup should do it).
6. Season with a little salt, if needed.
7. Use a large serving fork to twist the pasta on to the serving plate or bowl.
8. Serve immediately with a little sprinkling of the remaining cheese, fresh black pepper and parsley and green onions.
If the dish does get a little dry before serving, splash in some more hot pasta water and the glossy sauciness will be revived.
Garnish with grated parmesan, parsley and green onions and enjoy!
We’re here for you. Kearley & Company is just a phone call, email, or text away. We assist organizations of all sizes by developing marketing and communications strategies that work. Our team can help bring new ideas to the table while helping ensure your plan is on track to deliver results.